Employment Law/Retroactive 1st time classification

Question
Hi Shirley,

I am an immigrant, who received my green card about a year ago and promptly began working.
My employer did not classify me as of yet and I was getting checks.
I guess he assumed I will be filing 1099, but it was never discussed. We've spoken about it recently, and he said that if he can file W2 retroactively for me without getting penalized he'll do it. I want to file my annual taxes and think a W2 is the best choice for me, given the type of work and the conditions under which I am employed. My question then is - can he indeed retroactively classify me as an employee and issue a W2 for me without being penalized?

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance,

Gabriel

Answer
He cannot do this without being penalized. He has not paid the payroll taxes on the amounts they must be paid at the time the wages are paid. I would advice him to give you a 1099 for 2012 and start you on payroll and a W-2 in 2013 but he will have to take out the payroll taxes for January and February to make it correct.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR