Employment Law/Salaried position offered

Question
I have been with my company for 12 years at an hourly rate.  I was recently offered a salaried position (I didn't apply for it, it was offered to me) where I would have the same responsibilities that I currently have with a few additional responsibilities added. The initial salary offer was nearly $55,000/year less than what I grossed in 2012.  Obviously, I turned down this offer and attempted to negotiate a salary that is more in line with my current income. Their final offer increased merely $8,000/yr.  I was told that if I didn't accept this offer, the position would be posted for others to apply.  Additionally, I was told that my hours, will decrease as an hourly employee, but would remain the same as my current hours if I were to accept the salary offer.

I've been told by coworker, who has previously worked in HR for this company, that when a supervisory position is offered, the company cannot pay less than the previous year's gross income. This does not pertain to those who apply for the position. Can you tell me if there is a labor law regarding this, if so, can you point me in the right direction to read the information, or is this a situation that may vary depending on the company?  Thank you.

Answer
Doug:

I am not aware of any legal requirement such as your co-worker described to you.  Other than the laws providing for minimum wage and overtime compensation, employers generally have complete freedom to establish how much they will pay employees.  If such a rule does exist at your company, it is probably an internal compensation policy, or if you are represented by a union, it could be in the collective bargaining agreement.  So I think you need to talk with someone in HR to see the policy applicable to this situation, or get a copy of the collective bargaining agreement if there is one which applies to you.

I hope this helps, and wish you the best in resolving this situation.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill