Employment Law/Social Security Number On Checks- Texas

Is it legal to have full social security numbers on check stubs in the state of Texas? Also is it legal to have the just laying around the office where anyone can look at them?

This is discouraged by the Social Security Administration, however, it is not illegal in the state of Texas.

Here is what is said:

6. Can my employer use my Social Security number as an employee identification number?

Yes, in most states. However, the Social Security Administration discourages employers from displaying SSNs on documents that are viewed by other people — such as badges, parking permits, or on lists distributed to employees. Employers do, however, need each employee’s SSN to report earnings and payroll taxes.

In California and New York, as explained above, employers cannot display the employee’s SSN in certain situations. For further information, visit:
•California SSN law, recommended practices for compliance:
•New York: Read a description at

Here is the link:

Down at the bottom on question #6.

It is not inappropriate for you to request your employer mask out all but the last 4 digets of your social security number on your check stub. It is also okay to ask your employee to keep it in a sealed envelope so it is away from prying eyes.

I would hope your company would comply, however if they do not than there is no legal recourse.

PS. You might want to check your company policy handbook. If there is a confidentiality policy this practice could be violating company policy. It would violate our company policy.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada