Employment Law/Suspension for gas drive-offs

In Michigan, is it legal for an employer to suspend an employee for a gas drive-off? I would say it's unethical to hold any employee accountable for the risk the company took in running a gas station, but is it illegal, as well?

Ben - While it is not legal deduct the money lot by the drive-off from your pay, there is nothing in the law that prevents an employer from suspending an employee when it happens.  Other than assuring that employees receive at least the minimum wage and are not discriminated against, employees have little protection under employment laws.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006