Employment Law/Becoming an Independant Contractor

Question
I owned my own small children's art studio in a previous state. Upon moving here I was offered an opportunity to purchase an established children's art studio. The owner has no idea how to arrange for the purchase and does not want to involve a lawyer. I would have to slowly acquire the business overtime anyway. I suggested she hire me as an independent contractor to run her business for her. However in some of the research I've done it states that I would have to run my own independent business to qualify to be a 1099 employee. Could you clarify what the laws would be to do something like this? Could I run her business under the established business name as an independent contractor or would I have to change the name? Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
File for an EIN number for your business as Kari (last name) consulting services. Now you are a consultant running your own business.

Instead of haveing a check written out in payroll invoice the person the amount of money that you would receive as an independent contracter under Kari (last name)  Consulting.

Set up a checking account at a credit union or bank under Kari (last name) consulting and deposit your checks there.

You are now a business.

If you set up a room in your house as an office you can take off part of your internet fees, phone bill, power bill, and maybe rent or mortgage payment as small business deductions. You can also amortize a computer and take it off.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR