Employment Law/On call pay

Question
I work for a busy plumbing company in nys employees are required to cover 24 hour on call shifts we have to remain at home by the company vehicle and be ready to respond within fifteen minutes i was wonderi g if this would qualify for compensation

Answer
"Employees who must be on-call on the employer's premises or close enough to seriously curtail their use of the time for their own purposes must be paid for the time spent on-call. But employees who merely have to leave word where they can be reached are not working while on call. W-H Reg. 29 CFR 785-17).

(b) The minimum wage shall be paid for the time an employee is permitted to work, or is required to be available for work at a place prescribed by the employer, and shall include time spent in traveling to the extent that such traveling is part of the duties of the employee. However, a residential employee--one who lives on the premises of the employer--shall not be deemed to be permitted to work or required to be available for work: (1) during his or her normal sleeping hours solely because he is required to be on call during such hours; or (2) at any other time when he or she is free to leave the place of employment.
New York Department of Labor.

I would say since you are required to stay with the vehicle and you have to respond within 15 minutes you should be paid at least minimum wages. I am not in New York so I will tell you to contact your local Department of Labor and talk to them about this as it is a little bit of a gray issue.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR