Employment Law/Coworker dating

Question
About a year and a half ago a coworker and myself began dating. I am a manager and she is a cashier. Word got out about our relationship and the store manager went to the district manager and then to human resources about our relationship. At this point in time there was no policy about coworker dating in our company and the human resource manager said that it was ok as long as no issues occured at work. To this point no issues have happened at work. Today the new associate handbook came out and there is now a section about coworker dating stating associates are prohibited from dating any associate whom he or she directly or indirectly supervises. The company goes on to state that one of the parties must transfer and they will do their best to accommodate the transfer. It doesn't say anything about if they cannot accommodate the transfer. Can they enforce this policy on us and force a transfer? We work in New York State for a large company. Thanks for your help.

Answer
Adam:

I had to research New York law on this exact question a few weeks ago for another (private) questioner on this site.  The state does not prohibit employers from imposing and enforcing reasonable rules against intra-employee relationships.  The rule as you've described it is generally considered reasonable, in New York and other states, as long as it is consistently applied in similar circumstances.

I assume your coworker is not represented by a union, so there is no way to enforce this suggestion, but it might be worth your while to suggest to HR that imposing this rule on someone who already had such a relationship at the time the rule was announced is unfair, and ask for an exception, so long as there continue to be no problems in the workplace resulting from your relationship.  You never know, management might agree and give you (and anyone else in the same circumstances, where no complaints or disruption have occurred) a "grandfather" exception.  But that is a decision entirely up to management, and I'm afraid you'll have to abide by the decision, whatever it may be.

Sorry I can't give you a more pleasant answer, but I hope this is helpful to you.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill