Employment Law/discrectionary deduction of leave

Question
I work for a privately owned estate as an Administrative Manager in VA.
Recently I was deducted 8 hours of PTO for a snow day (12" fell in one day).  Another farm employee who is also exempt, full-time was not.
Is this legal?  There is no written inclement weather policy.

Answer
Dana - If you took the day off, you seem to have used 8 hours of PTO, so a deduction would appear warranted.  Most employers have policy that employees who miss work on snow days have vacation or PTO time used to make up for the lost work time. Nothing requires them to treat the time as worked, regardless of the amount of snow that falls, unless the employer actually closes the work site.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire