Employment Law/discrectionary deduction of leave

I work for a privately owned estate as an Administrative Manager in VA.
Recently I was deducted 8 hours of PTO for a snow day (12" fell in one day).  Another farm employee who is also exempt, full-time was not.
Is this legal?  There is no written inclement weather policy.

Dana - If you took the day off, you seem to have used 8 hours of PTO, so a deduction would appear warranted.  Most employers have policy that employees who miss work on snow days have vacation or PTO time used to make up for the lost work time. Nothing requires them to treat the time as worked, regardless of the amount of snow that falls, unless the employer actually closes the work site.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006