Employment Law/Help

I am a college student and I work part time at McDonald's, when I started they went threw how they have flex hours and if I needed to call in I had to do it 2 hours before my shift. I had to call in the other day and I done so 2 hours before, I went in today and I was suspended for a week. There was also 2 people that called in and nothing was done to them and my excuse was a lot better then there's. how in the world do I get suspended when the other 2 didn't, my letter of suspension said not a good excuse. Is there anything I can do to fight this because this is the only way to get money while in college

You can call your local department of labor and have them call the company and find out why you were suspended when others were not. It sounds like someone doesn't like you there and is harrassing you. For whatever reason you should not be singled out and discriminated against. You followed procedure and were punished for it which is not okay.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada