Employment Law/pay for mandatory meetings

Question
I work in Boise,Idaho and we are having an after hours mandatory meeting at a resteraunt. Company is buying dinner and stated that because they are buying our dinner they do not have to pay us for this mandatory meeting. I work from 9 to 5 and the meeting is from 6 to 9, I am required to be there and will not be paid, is this legal?

Answer
It is not legal for hourly non exempt employees. If you are hourly non exempt and the meeting is mandatory whether or not they pay for dinner you must be paid for attending the meeting. If the meeting is voluntary and you can opt to not attend you do not need to be paid.

If you are salaried exempt you are not paid for the meeting.

In accordance with the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, overtime must be paid at a rate of time and one half for all hours "worked" over 40 in a workweek, unless the employer or the individual employee is considered exempt.

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR