Employment Law/Personal Guarantee of Corp Credit Card

Question
Hello Experts,

I live in California and use my personal credit card for qualified business expenses (travel, hotel, airfare, cell phone, meals etc).  My employer is making it mandatory I use their AMEX ‘corporate’ credit card I have to sign up for like any other credit card and pay for ALL business expenses.  My employer reimburses my expenses after I submit an expense report to them.   I understand my employer trying to cut costs.  Can my employer force me to use a particular credit card I personally guarantee for business expenses yet I pay the bill to AMEX and it’s not direct billed to my employer?

Thanks

Answer
Scott:

Under California law, (Section 2802 of the Labor Code) the employer is only required to reimburse your expenses; there is no requirement that the employer have expenses billed directly to them rather than to you.  The employer should pay the annual fee for the card, however, if you are required to use it for business expenses.

I hope this is helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill