Employment Law/Personal Guarantee of Corp Credit Card

Hello Experts,

I live in California and use my personal credit card for qualified business expenses (travel, hotel, airfare, cell phone, meals etc).  My employer is making it mandatory I use their AMEX ‘corporate’ credit card I have to sign up for like any other credit card and pay for ALL business expenses.  My employer reimburses my expenses after I submit an expense report to them.   I understand my employer trying to cut costs.  Can my employer force me to use a particular credit card I personally guarantee for business expenses yet I pay the bill to AMEX and it’s not direct billed to my employer?

Under California law, (Section 2802 of the Labor Code) the employer is only required to reimburse your expenses; there is no requirement that the employer have expenses billed directly to them rather than to you.  The employer should pay the annual fee for the card, however, if you are required to use it for business expenses.

I hope this is helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill

I can answer questions about any U.S. labor or employment law question. I cannot answer questions about non-US law. I am not a specialist in employee benefit law (ERISA and HIPAA) or Workers' Compensation law, but will do my best to point questioners toward good resources availabe online. Expertise includes, without limitation, EEO/Affirmative Action/Employment discrimination (Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, GINA, Fair Credit Reporting Act as applied to employment); Fair Labor Standards Act; Texas labor code; Family Medical Leave Act; employee compensation; discipline and dismissal; force reductions, severance pay programs and administration; collective bargaining, union representation, grievances and arbitration, National Labor Relations Act and National Labor Relations Board; employee handbooks; staffing; dispute resolution outside of traditional labor agreements; employee communications; employment policies and compliance programs; codes of ethics; employment or labor litigation.

30+ years experience as corporate counsel for a Fortune 100 telecom company, specializing in labor and employment law issues. In addition to providing day-to-day advice to my company's internal HR leadership and staff, I've represented the company in numerous labor arbitration cases and at the bargaining table.

Texas, Illinois and Missouri state bars

J.D. 1979, Harvard Law School. B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1976, Illinois Wesleyan University.