Employment Law/salaried employee

Question
when working as a salaried employee who is paid for only 80 hours but the work shift given is a 12hour shift and I'm working 42 hours a week is this legal or can i be paid for the extra 4 hours within this two week pay period

Answer
Salaried exempt employees are only paid their regular salary. Hours worked do not matter. This is what exempt means. It means this employee is exempt from the FLSA overtime rules.

Salaried exempt employees are paid an annual wage broken up into equal pay periods throughout the year. Salaried employees are not paid per hours worked.

You can read the difference between salaried and hourly employees here:

http://www.flsa.com/pdf/coverage.pdf

Rights of exempt employees.

An exempt employee has virtually "no rights at all" under the FLSA overtime rules. About all an exempt employee is entitled to under the FLSA is to receive the full amount of the base salary in any work period during which s/he performs any work (less any permissible deductions). Nothing in the FLSA prohibits an employer from requiring exempt employees to "punch a clock," or work a particular schedule, or "make up" time lost due to absences. Nor does the FLSA limit the amount of work time anemployer may require or expect from any employee, on any
schedule. ("Mandatory overtime" is not restricted by the FLSA.)

Keep in mind that this discussion is limited to rights underthe FLSA. Exempt employees may have rights under other laws or by way of employment policies or contracts.

Rights of nonexempt employees.

Nonexempt employees are entitled under the FLSA to time and one-half their "regular rate" of pay for each hour they actually work over the applicable FLSA overtime threshold in the applicable FLSA work period.

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR