Employment Law/Training Indemnity Bond

Question
Dear Umesh,

I work as a permanent employee with an MNC in Pakistan. Last December 2012, I was sent on a training in Dubai for which I had to sign an indemnity bond amounting to 3.5 lac rupees.
After completion of training, I was bound to serve the company for atleast a year, or else I shall be liable for the training cost mentioned above.
However, due to some personal reasons I've decided to resign from my duties and relocate to another city in order to reunite with my family living there.
Since the indemnity bond period has not yet been completed, how do you think I should tackle the issue? Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks and regards.
Wahab Kazim

Answer
Dear Wahab,

Hope you're doing fine.

It's a debatable topic. Usually bond practices are not valid.

But you were hired and were sent for exclusive training to another country. And your company made a lot of expenditure on your getting trained therefore it would be a legal binding on you to repay those training expenditure which they incurred on you. The indemnity bond period is just a year.

I would suggest you to continue for another year and then think of leaving the job as whatever job you'll get in the similar field, will be given to you on the basis of tenure and training in your current Organisation.

Though, in case of you have made up your mind to leave the Organisation you may meet the concerned person and negotiate over the indemnity bond amount.

Warm regards,
Umesh Chaudhary
(welcomeumesh@yahoo.com)  

Employment Law

Umesh Chaudhary