Employment Law/Use of time clock

Question
Good morning.

We have a variety of hourly workers who are considered "seasonal" or "variable hour" employees, as well as both exempt and non-exempt employees.  Currently, the variable hour employees are no required to utilize the time clock, but turn in their time on a very basic sheet.  The hours are always in whole numbers with no minutes.  All other staff are required to use the time clock with the exception of executives.

I have two concerns.  One, the use of paper forms with whole hours does not accurately reflect time worked.  Two, I believe the company may in some way either be inadvertently considered discriminatory in its discretional use of the time clock, or may be not fairly following the FLSA, especially regarding overtime.  95% of the time, most variable employees do not work over 40 hours, but it can occur.

I need some guidelines with which I can go to the CEO if we need to change procedure, which I believe we do.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Shar Schreiner
Payroll Administrator
L.D. Amory Co., Inc.

Answer
The Fair Labor Standards Act states very plainly that you should have correct timecards on hand for every employee with the total hours worked. You are in violation of this act by not having the exact hours worked for these employees. In order to be in compliance with the FLSA you need to have those employees also use the time clock to ensure accuracy.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR