Employment Law/withholding monies owed from final pay

Question
We are a transportation company and employ cdl drivers.  We have a driver that quit (no call no show) and he was issued a money bag when hired.  He has not turned that in or any of the company issued items (fuel card, keys to company property).  Can we withhold the monies from the money bag and hold his final check until he turns in all of the company property?

Thank you for you assistance in this.

Answer
It is illegal to withhold his final check for these reasons. You will now have to take him to small claims court to get back the items he has not returned to you. Unless you have a signed statement from the employee that says if I quit and do not return company property you can hold the money out of my final check you cannot hold the money nor can you hold the check.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR