Employment Law/Per diem

Question
My question is this. Currently I work two and a half hours from home in Texas. (Work is also in Texas) I work in the energy field at an hourly rate. The company has been providing hotel accommodations as well as 15 dollars a day for per diem. Now they r telling us they are going to give us 45 dollars a day and with that we have to find our own accommodation. The company is based in North Carolina. My question is if we are receiving enough

Answer
If it costs more than what you are given for a per diem you can deduct the difference on your income tax as a business expense.  I do not think that 45 dollars will find you accomodation and buy meals it is not enough. I would talk with your company, and let them know that you need more per diem if you are finding your own accomodation. legally they are not required to pay for lodging so there are no legal grounds. If you are a good employee and they want to keep you than they should treat you fairly.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR