Employment Law/Handwritten timesheets vs timeclocks

Question
We use an automated timekeeping system for all of our hourly employees. We also require that our employees keep a manual account of projects that they have worked on daily. Our company practice has been that the hours on the manual project timesheet should be within 1 hour of the timeclock.

If the employee turns in a manual project timesheet that is significantly different from the timeclock, is management allowed to change the number of hours paid based on the manual project timesheet submitted by the employee?

Answer
What this means is that the employee is either checking in and out incorrectly on the automated system or they are keeping their manual time incorrectly.  The correct method would be to use the automated time system as it is more accurate than human kept time and it is the one the Department of Labor will look at as being correct. I do not understand the reasoning behind two time keeping methods sounds like extra work to me. If the automated system is set up correctly and working and the employee checks in and out properly than the time should be correct.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR