Employment Law/Massachusetts Mileage Reimbursement

My company, which is run by lawyers, will not reimburse for the mileage between two buildings.  One direction is .7 miles and the other direction is 1 mile.  I know MA has a law requiring employers to reimburse for mileage for work-related travel.  Is there a minimum number of miles?  There are days when I need to go there 3 times!

Thank you for your help

If you are required to use your personal car for company business during the day you are to be reimbursed the mileage expense based on the federal mileage rate or on actual cost whichever the company uses. If they are using actual cost you need to keep a long book and receipts. If they are using the federal mileage rate you only need to keep track of the miles driven.

Time to the workplace and time home from the workplace are not reimbursed.

If they will not reimburse your mileage than tell them than you can no longer use your car for company business and they will have to provide a company car for you to use.  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada