Employment Law/PTO and Extended Sick Payouts

Question
Are there any websites/documentation that outline whether the resident state or work state drives the laws and regulations for the payout of PTO and extended sick accruals?

Answer
The documentation for most of the states would be the state in which the company is located. State laws do regulate Vacation, PTO and sick payouts. It is not mandated in any states, but in most states if the company has a policy of either paying or not paying out PTO or sick pay the DOL will expect the company to honor their policy. It is only considered wages in a few states, I only know that in Nebraska it is considered wages and in California it cannot be lost once it is accrued. You would have to look at state law. The law would be for the state in which the company is located and not where the work is done.

Shirley

If you wish me to look up your state let me know in which state your company is located. Otherwise go to the Department of Labor website for the state in which your company is located.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR