Employment Law/Scheduled time off

Question
This question is for California. If you are scheduled say 2 pm to 1030 pm and have already started working that day. Can your manager at anytime during the work day say you have to stay past your scheduled time off? No matter what they have you sign in your handbook when you are hired. If so how long can they keep you and where can I find the law for that? Thanks for all your help.

Answer
Kellis:

California and Federal wage and hour laws do not regulate the number of hours an employee can be required to work in a day, so the situation you described would be lawful.  If your handbook says there is a maximum and your boss ignores that policy, you might be able to sue for breach of the employment contract if you are fired or disciplined for refusing to stay late, but who wants to take that route?

The good news is that if you are an hourly non-exempt employee, California law requires the payment of time and one half to non-exempt employees for each hour worked over eight in a single workday, each hour worked over forty in a single workweek, and the first eight hours worked on the seventh day of work in a given workweek.  California law also requires employers to pay double time for every hour worked over twelve in a single day and each hour worked over eight on the seventh consecutive day of work in any given workweek.

If you would like more information on the wage and hour laws in California, take a look at this site:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlseWagesAndHours.html

I hope this is helpful to you.  

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill