Employment Law/Termination letter

Question
Hello Ma'am, my previous question may have been sent to you in error.  I think it should go to Margaret demarteliere.

However, I do have a question for you.

I was terminated over the phone 'for cause' in violating a work agreement and my Arizona employer:

1. Will not give me a termination letter even after my HRrep      was   the first one to even mention it.  Now wont give me one.
2. Will not tell me when or how I violated this work agreement.
3. Did not contest unemployment
4. Will not let me see my personnel file or give me a copy.

Why?

thank you

Answer
When reading the information you have given above I can tell you that although I do not know the motive of the employer it sounds to me like you were let go under the Arizona "Right to work law". Under the right to work law the employer does not have to give a reason for termination, however, if they do not give a reason for termination than they cannot contest unemployment.

In the state of Arizona the employee does not have the right to view their peronnel file nor do they have the rights to a copy of it. Only state employees in Arizona have a right to view their personnel files, private sector employees do not. So unless you work for the State of Arizona you cannot view your personnel file.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR