Employment Law/Travel time

Question
I work for a house cleaning company in Texas. We are required to arrive at the office before being sent out on our assignment for the day and return to the office after we complete our assignments. We are only paid for the hours that we are actually cleaning a home. We are not paid an hourly wage for our office time or our driving time. We are paid mileage for travel from office to clients home and back to office. My question is, is this legal? Should I be getting paid for my travel time as part of the "all in a days work" law?

Answer
Rachel - If you are an employee, and not an independent contractor, you have the right to be paid for your travel time to and from your work sites and for any administrative work you must do at the office.  Commuting is not part of the day's work, but that is limited to back and forth from the office, not other work locations.  If you wish to file a complaint, contact the nearest office of the federal Department of Labor and explain the problem to them.  They should be able to help you to recover back wages and correct the policy.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire