You are here:

Employment Law/Workmen's Comp


I'm on medical leave due to a work-related injury. My employer retains an insurer who handles (on behalf of my employer)workmen's comp-related cases and claims. I have been out for almost 2 months now but still not sure where I'm headed because the medical provider that I'm currently going to is awaiting authorization from my employer's insurer to proceed with the medical provider's planned treatment. A week ago, I spoke with this insurer's representative (after almost a month of attempting to get in touch with her) and she asked me a series of questions related to my injury.  She said she was going to send me a list of panelists to choose from who will interview me regarding my claim and who will then determine whether or not my claim is approved.  It has been more than a week now and I still have not received anything from this insurer.  In the meantime, the medical provider who did my initial evaluation is still awaiting the insurer's authorization and won't release me to go back to work until I've seen the specialist that they recommend me to see and who will determine whether I'm fit to go back to work.  In the meantime also, I'm only relying on my disability benefits which I might be running out of while nobody is doing anything to attend to my case.  What should I do.

I would get in contact with your Benefits consultant at work and with the human resources department and see if they can help you out.

If they cannot help you out you might have to get an attorney and sue the insurance company through which the workman's comp is paid.


Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR


I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).


30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]