Employment Law/Being ordered to start work before clocking in

Question
My job starts at 6AM using a computer based clock in system. When I first get there the computer is off and needs about 2 minutes to start. I have come in, hit the computer button, and been sent to work before I can clock in. - usually its about 15 to 20 minutes before I can get back to the computer to clock in.

Now I have been taken to task for being "tardy" because the computer records do not reflect my shift times on most days.

Should I be taking steps to remove this - what I consider slander - from my personnell file?

Answer
You should not start working until you are checked in. You need to say to the person I need to check in first I haven't checked in for work yet.

Yes, you should explain to HR what is happening and at least they can tell the supervisor that you need to check in before starting to work.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR