Employment Law/paychecks in Texas

I need to know what the actual law is regarding paycheck funds in Texas.  Is there any kind of legal ramification for an employer issuing paychecks that repeatedly keep bouncing?

The Texas Payday Law, Chapter 61 of the Texas Labor Code, requires employers to pay employees on their designated pay days and gives you the right to file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission if the employer fails to comply.  A bounced paycheck is not in compliance with the law.  You have 180 days from the date of each failed payment to file a TWC claim.

You can learn more and start a claim online at the TWC website:

I hope this is helpful and that you get the pay you have earned as soon as possible.  

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill

I can answer questions about any U.S. labor or employment law question. I cannot answer questions about non-US law. I am not a specialist in employee benefit law (ERISA and HIPAA) or Workers' Compensation law, but will do my best to point questioners toward good resources availabe online. Expertise includes, without limitation, EEO/Affirmative Action/Employment discrimination (Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, GINA, Fair Credit Reporting Act as applied to employment); Fair Labor Standards Act; Texas labor code; Family Medical Leave Act; employee compensation; discipline and dismissal; force reductions, severance pay programs and administration; collective bargaining, union representation, grievances and arbitration, National Labor Relations Act and National Labor Relations Board; employee handbooks; staffing; dispute resolution outside of traditional labor agreements; employee communications; employment policies and compliance programs; codes of ethics; employment or labor litigation.

30+ years experience as corporate counsel for a Fortune 100 telecom company, specializing in labor and employment law issues. In addition to providing day-to-day advice to my company's internal HR leadership and staff, I've represented the company in numerous labor arbitration cases and at the bargaining table.

Texas, Illinois and Missouri state bars

J.D. 1979, Harvard Law School. B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1976, Illinois Wesleyan University.