Employment Law/payroll stub distribution

Our payroll stubs are printed in our main office then are folded and stapled and the employee names hand written on the paper. There are random assistant managers that do this process. After this process the payroll stubs are given to another worker to bring them to the right departments. I feel there are too many people that have access to payroll stubs. Even though it has not been proven, it's known that one of the people that does this process likes to do it so they can see how much employees make and how many hours they work. I for one have personal information on my stub that I don't want just random people having access too. I guess my question is, is this a legal process? Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to provide to me.

If personal information such as the social security number or a personal address or phone number is on the stub than it is considered confidential information. Wage amounts are not considered confidential.

The correct method is for payroll to put the stubs in sealed envelopes and write the name on the outside of the envelope. If they are saving money by not using envelopes they could fold it over so all the information is inside and not viewable by anyone.

If this continues you should bring it to the attention of your HR manager and let her know that it is not okay with you and that if this is how the company wants to continue to hand out pay stubs you would like to have yours mailed to you and you will provide the postage stamp for them to do so.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada