Employment Law/salary employee taking time off with out pay

Question
In the past I was able to take time off with out pay if I did not have any vacation time.  Now I was told after I came back from vacation that I could not take time off with out pay with out taking an entire week off.  But I could go 24 hours into the negative.  The HR director could not give me this in writing.  I work in Florida.  Is this legal?

Answer
Since vacation is not required by law the company can make up its own rules,

The law actually says that you can only dock a salaried exempt person if the are off one full day for personal reasons.  If you have a vacation plan the employee can be docked for days off in excess of vacation time.  The other rules the company is making are rules made by your company for your company and not any laws. It is not illegal.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR