Employment Law/Texas work uniform laws

I have been at my job for 3 months now and today the lead manager told me she would order me the required work shirt for my job and that $75 would be taken from my check.
When hired 3 months ago by the assistant manager she told me she would order me a work shirt but mentioned nothing about it costing $75 from my check, at that time the ONLY thing she told me that would be deducted is mandatory malpractice insurance.
I did not agree to either of these deductions in writing when hired.
Can they still take the $75 from my check as long as I do not fall below minimum wage?
Or.. Since they did not make me aware of this whe hired, nor have me sign off on it, is it now their responsibility?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Both of these deductions are illegal under the Texas Payday Law.

Texas Workforce Commission
Labor Law Department
101 E. 15th St.
Auston, TX 78778
Phone: 512-463-2829 or 800-832-9243
Fax: 512-475-2152

You can contact the following:
•Payday, Child Labor and Texas Minimum Wage Law: Call 800-832-9243 or e-mail

It is not legal in Texas to deduct anything not required by a court order from your check withhout your signed authorization. Once you sign authorization it becomes legal.

Here is a link to the Payday Law:

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada