Employment Law/Unpaid Vacation Pay

Question
Hi, In my handbook it states that the employee forfeits the vacation pay if they are terminated for disciplinary reasons.
But what happens when another employee was given vacation pay upon her disciplinary termination?
Is it alright for one employee to get it because she raised a stink about getting all of her money? She told me herself that she got an almost $500.00 last paycheck. She was a server, they don't get those kind of checks. I would hope that this would not make a difference but the other employee is African-American.
I don't think this is fair, to treat one employee different from another.
The employers name is: Crescent Hotels and Resorts in Livonia, Michigan.
Thank You for your time.
Sincerely,
Maureen

Answer
They probably caved in to this employee because she is a minority and they did not want hit with a discrimination lawsuit. I would make some noise and try to get them to pay it.

You could take it to the Department of Labor and argue the case that one employee was paid her time upon discharge which set a precedent, however, since it is written in the handbook I do not know if the Department of labor will help. It is worth a try.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR