Employment Law/10-month School Administrator Pay

Question
Just started a new position as a 10-month administrator in an Illinois school district. My contract start date was August 5, 2013 and I was informed that I would not receive a paycheck until September 15, 2013. When I asked why, I was told this is the way it has always been done. Teachers are required to return to work on August 16, 2013 yet remain on extended pay until August 31. This sounds like double dipping. Is this legal?

Answer
I don't know how other school districts handle this, it is pretty much up to the union.

At my daughter's school in Oregon this is how it is handled and also at her old school in Arizona it was the same way.

She has been a teacher for 5 years.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR