You are here:

Employment Law/Canada PTO Policies


Hi Shirley,

I noticed that you worked for Revenue Canada.  I'm trying to understand what the legislative obligations are for employers in Canada.  I see that for Vacation, the indemnity percentage is between 4 to 6% based on the employee's unrestricted service.  Is there a good web site that you can point me to that defines these more clearly?  I would assume Sick policies would be up to the discretion of the employer, but was hoping the site might cover that as well?



Hi Caleb,

I do not work for Revenue Canada. Our company has two offices in Canada for which I do HR and Payroll.

I think that These websites will help you out with Vacation. If you go to the topof the first one you can click on each province for information on the rules for that province.

Sick pay is handled differently in Canada Than in the U.S.

Each province handles this a bit differently. You also do not have just a "sick pay".  Depending on the type of business and whether or not you fall under the ESA (Employment Standards Act) there are different types of leave from work.

Sick Leave, Personal emergency leave, Compassionate Leave, Bereavement leave, Maternity and parental Leave.

These can be different and have differnt rules depending on the province in which the business is located.


British Columbia:

Manitoba: (you have to scroll down the page a ways to find the leave regulations)

New Brunswick:


Northwest Territories:

Nova Scotia:

Prince Edward Island:




I hope these websites help.

If you need further information you need to go to the Ministry of Labor in your particular Province. They will be happy to answer your questions.



Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR


I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).


30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada

©2017 All rights reserved.