Employment Law/Letter of Reconsideration

Question
Hi Mr. Frank C. Magill,

I wrote a letter to the company's Hiring Manager to be reconsidered for a job after they sent me an email stating: Thank you for your interest. We have carefully reviewed your qualifications and at this time have decided not to move forward. We wish you the best of luck in your career search. Please visit our career site to apply for other opportunities that might better fit your qualifications.

My questions are:
1.) If the Hiring Manager does not respond to my letter. Then Who should I contact next?

2.) Is there a time frame by law that they have to respond to my letter?

3.) Is the company required by law to respond to my letter at all?

Thank you for your expertise,
Denise McLeod

Answer
Denise:

Unfortunately, there is no legal obligation on the employer to respond to you at all, much less to give you the reconsideration you desire.  However, it can't hurt to send a polite request to someone such as the Vice President of Staffing, if there is one, or the head of the Human Resources department if it is a smaller company.  But don't criticize anyone or accuse them of unfairness; every hiring decision is difficult and someone always loses out.  Even if you don't end up working for this particular company this time around, you never know when other opportunities might arise, and employers tend not to be anxious to hire someone who refuses to take "no" for an answer.  In the meantime, I would advise you to go ahead and apply for other positions as the hiring manager suggested.

I hope you find this helpful, and good luck in your job search.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill