Employment Law/part time hours

Question
QUESTION: What is the most hours that a part time employee can work and still be part time? I have heard that the law changed to where if you are part time you can no longer work more that 29 hours a week.

ANSWER: For insurance reasons employees that work 30 hours a week are considered full time employees. you must be considered a full time employee and receive all employee benefits if you work 30 hours a week or more.

Shirley

QUESTION: So as a part time employee you can not work over the 29 hours?Does this law stand for ALL employers (big & small companies)?

Answer
This is for insurance purposes. If the company offers medical insurance and benefits it applies. If the company is under 50 employees and does not offer medical insurance it does not apply.

The hourly employee is paid all hours worked regardless if they are part time or full time. They work over 40 hours in a week they must be paid overtime whether or not they are part time or full time.

The only thing that the part time and full time applies to are company benefits such as insurance.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR