Employment Law/My Son's Situation

Question
Hello Mr. McGill,

My son is 30 years old and was on SSI until the age of 25. He is not of a race minority but works nights where he is a race minority. His employer is trying to fire him (he has been put on administrative leave) after hotlining the company he works for to their employee ethics hotline.

He has sent a complaint to the EEOC but fears when questioned the co-workers who agree with him will be afraid to speak the truth for fear of retaliation. This is a no-win situation but he is not easily employable and needs insurance.

To make matters worse, his dad is in management in a different department. We don't know what to do because now we fear the loss of both jobs due to retaliation. Any advice?

Thanks,
Becky

Answer
Becky:

I am very sorry to hear about this situation.  While Federal and Illinois law protect those who bring EEOC complaints, as well as all persons who cooperate in an EEOC investigation, from retaliation by their employer (meaning the employer can be sued for damages, by the EEOC itself or by the employees), litigation takes time and in the meantime the employees who have been illegally treated could still be out of a job if the employer acts foolishly.  

The best way to reduce the chances of this occurring is to retain an attorney who will help your son work with the EEOC and warn the employer that retaliation is unlawful and will result in legal action.  If the employer has legal counsel, it will be advised against doing anything that could result in a retaliation claim.  The EEOC has a legal right to interview witnesses and obtain records from employers, and failing to cooperate in an EEOC investigation only makes things worse for the employer.  So there are strong incentives for the wise employer to cooperate without punishing its employees for raising or assisting in the investigation of a claim.

If you do not know an experienced employment attorney in your area, I suggest you run an Internet search on the name of your city or county and the words "bar association lawyer referral."  You will find the website of the local bar association, and all of them now have services to match people up with qualified attorneys.  It is not absolutely necessary to have an attorney assist your son in pursuing his claim, but I believe it is well worth the expense, especially in a potentially unpleasant situation such as your family now faces.

I hope you find this helpful, and wish your family the best in resolving this problem.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill