Employment Law/employment uniforms in texas

if a employer mandates uniforms to be worn, and the uniform can only be purchased from one location because of a company logo being on the uniform does the employer have to pay 50% of the cost.

Dante - Texas has no law on the topic of uniforms, but the federal law says that employees must purchase their own uniforms, but the employer has to reimburse the employee to the extent that the purchase reduces the employees wages for the week to below the minimum wage.  In other words, if you earn only minimum wage ($7.25 per hour) for a total of $290.00 for a forty hour week, you must be reimbursed the full cost of the uniform, because making you buy it yourself will reduce your salary to below the allowed minimum.  The purchase cannot be spread out over more than one work week - it must be considered in the week it was purchased.  If you earn more than minimum wage, subtract the cost of the uniform from your gross salary.  If you have less than $290.00 remaining, you are owed the difference.  This is under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) so any problems must be reported to them, not to the Texas Workforce Commission.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006