Employment Law/harassment & exploitation

I'm wondering if you can help me...I don't really know what to do about my situation. I've worked at a prominent university for a year and a half. I was laid off a year before so when offered this job I took it out of desperation. I was brought in at the very lowest level possible. My experience and education qualifies me for a position 3-4 levels higher. There is another person on my team who does a similar job and she and I are back-up for each other. Our job responsibilities are almost identical however she has a higher title and much higher pay. I've been bringing this up for over a year to HR, my manager, and anyone I can think might be able to do something. Of course, I'm met with apathy most of the time.

Not only that there is a 10k+ difference in pay, but there are also huge disparities in how we are treated. Some employees get preferential treatment- we can do the same thing, but only one of us gets written up for it etc. There are subtle things that take place each day which has really started to wear me down. I'm miserable and desperate. I feel bullied.

I would love to just leave but it was hard to find a job when unemployed so I feel stuck. Is there any recourse for me?

Thank you!

If you have an HR person I would sit down and talk to her and just let her know how you feel. Ask if there is a reason for the treatment you are getting and the difference in wages. Let her know what you do in your job and that you feel that your wages are lower than they should be and what can you do to change that.

Do not go into how badly you are being treated simply that you feel you are doing a good job and wish to be compensated for the job you do.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada