Employment Law/legal or not?

Question
I work for a company and They offer you health insurance,But the catch is if you take there health insurance you have to take a 15% cut in your pay is this legal or not? in the state of Tennessee.

Answer
I know for a fact that the law does not monitor pay cuts unless they are discriminatory against a protected class of employee under the civil rights act.

As long as the employer is paying minimum wage and overtime after 40 hours a week they are in compliance with the FLSA.

You certainly have the right to call and speak to your local department of labor and let them know what is going on with the insurance, however, I am not sure this is something that they would be able to act on.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR