Employment Law/Salaried Employee Rules

Question
I work for a non-profit organization as a teacher. I do have a teaching degree. For the past two years, I have been a salaried employee. Today, I was called in, as many of my coworkers were also, and told that based on FLSA, I was not qualified to be a salaried employee. They said that the guidelines through the FLSA were that only employees who supervise two or more people were entitled to be on salary. Of course, I responded saying that, technically, I supervise an entire classroom of individuals everyday. Is there any ruling or guideline in the FLSA dictating who may be paid a salary and who may not? I thank you so much for your time and expertise in answering this question.
Sincerely,
Texas Worker

Answer
Your HR person needs to go back to school.  The Teacher position falls under the "Professional Exemption" for exempt salaried employees.

Here is a link to the Department of Labor site with the professional exemption guidelines.

note under "field of science or learning" a couple of pages down it specifically says Teaching.

www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17d_professional.pdf

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR