Employment Law/Signing of Time Sheets

Question
I understand there is no law requiring employees to sign time sheets, however, many employers have a policy in place to have employees sign the time sheet as a way to attest that the time sheet is correct with the hours shown. Also considering that many employers require that time sheets that are not signed will not be processed.

In saying all that, are there laws surrounding the supervisor having employees sign a time sheet that is not completely filled out with the hours worked? I'm not referring to having the employee sign the time sheet at noon, so payroll can be processed. I'm referring to the supervisor merely getting the employees to sign the time sheet at the end of the work day, but prior to the time actually being written in and he fills that out later prior to turning the time sheet in for the day.

Thank you

Joe

Answer
The employee's signature on the time sheet says that the time is correct on the time sheet. An employee should not sign a timesheet without the time on the sheet. He is giving his okay to the time. He cannot okay time which is not there. The employee should fill out the timesheet not the supervisor.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR