Employment Law/Out of Town Business

Question
Hi Shirley~  I am going out of town for a conference with my company's owner & Vice President (his brother).  I am an hourly employee & therefore will only be paid for an 8 hour workday each day.  Because I am only being paid for 8 hours, I feel that my evenings should be my own.  How do I delicately address this with them as I'm sure they will expect me to join them for dinner & such?

Answer
Technically if you are asked to go to a business meeting after your 8 hours you should be paid for the time.

As HR I will tell you that you need to evaluate whether your time in the evening on your own is more important than advancing your career.

I have been in the same situation a few times. when I am approached for dinner I often say "I can go for dinner, however, I am busy working on something so I can't stay long. I eat and excuse myself. I this way show up at dinner (I have to eat anyway) and I excuse myself after dinner is finished to my own time.

I have before said "I am sorry, but I have made other plans for dinner tonight, could I have dinner with you tomorrow night instead? I gives me one evening at least on my own.

Sometimes dinner with management is not bad, a lot of things are discussed during dinner meetings and it makes you look like an employee that is going the extra mile and interested in their discussions.

I guess I am saying pick your battles.

Shirley

P.S. another tactic is to say "I'm just going to have a salad in my room and relax from the day, I really don't feel like dinner.

Or

I have said I planned to go shopping this evening, take in a movie, visit a museum so I won't be available for dinner tonight, I'll just grab something on the run. Some excuse which will let them know that you wish to do something else.

I do manage to have dinner at least once on a trip to show that I am not avoiding having dinner with management. I use those times to bring up a class or a project I would like their help with.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR