Employment Law/vacation

hi..a friend in respiratory care at a health care facility in Wisconsin has to pay for vacation time..$400 monthly..for 3 weeks off per year..and doesn't get reimbursed if she doesn't take the time. I know of paid..unpaid ..but not pay for vacation time....Is this the sign of the times?  thanks

This is a new one to me. Companies do not have to offer paid time off or vacation pay as it is not required by law.

This company is not offering paid vacation pay, but is making the employee pay for it. I think this would not be okay with the state employment laws.

The company should just say you can take vacation but you will not be paid for it. Your friend could put the 400.00 in the bank and save it for her vacation.

I would strongly suggest your friend contact her local department of labor and talk to them about this.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada