Employment Law/1-year contract with training refund clause on quitting

Question
Hello Frank,

I recently signed a 1-year job offer contract with a company. The offer letter states "In the event you terminate your employment voluntarily or if you are terminated for cause within 1 calendar year from your start date, you will be required to reimburse company x for the full cost of the Training which is valued at $40,000"

I don't really understand how this clause works. If I'm fired, for example, due to "Poor Job performance" such as not meeting a sales quota, will I have to reimburse company $40,000?

Thank you, please let me know anything you know about a clause like this.

Answer
Jeremy:

This is becoming fairly common among employers today.  In general, it is lawful in most states, including New York.  You should ask the employer exactly what they mean by "terminated for cause", however, to be sure you understand the agreement.  It could mean termination for any reason deemed to be "cause" by the employer at the time, or it might be limited to misconduct (violations of company rules or applicable laws.)  There are also strict rules in New York State about how an employer can recover money allegedly owed by an employee.  For example, in many situations it is unlawful for the employer to deduct money from wages or salary to satisfy an alleged debt to the company.  

You may wish to consider consulting a local experienced employment attorney to get more complete advice on the enforceability of this agreement.  Knowing the nature of the work, the type of training and the complete text of the offer letter, he or she would be in a position to tell you more than I can about the situation.

I hope you find this helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill