Employment Law/Full-Time Status

How is "full-time" defined in the state of Michigan?  Is it determined by the number of hours an individual works per week, or by how many weeks in a row a part-time worker works over a certain number of hours?  Do you have to make someone full-time if they work so many hours/week or so many weeks of working 35 hours per sae?  Also, do you have to pay someone holiday pay based upon being full-time?  Do you have to pay someone holiday pay based upon them being part-time?  Thank you for your insight and help in these matters!

Full time status is not defined by the state. Full time status is defined by the company or in some situations by the agency. For insurance purposes it is 30 hours a week. The unemployment office in different states can be either 35 or 40 hours, in most states it is 40 hours for full time.

Holiday Pay is not required to be paid to either full time or part time. The company must follow it's policy on paying holiday pay. If they pay for full time they must specify what full time is and if they pay for part time what constitutes part time. The state nor the federal government require payment of holiday pay, or vacation time. These are at the option of the employer. Extra pay for work on a holiday is also at the option of the employer but if it is paid to one it must be paid to all.

Michigan does not require businesses to pay employees for holidays on which they do not work. Some businesses offer paid holidays as an employee benefit, and some unions negotiate this benefit for their members. Any holiday benefits should be listed in the business' employee handbook.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada