Employment Law/time punches

Question
Hi there, I have a few questions about the laws on editing peoples time punches.  I work as a manager at a fast food establishment, a few nights ago my crew and myself were there working until 3:10 am, when I looked at our time punches the next day they had edited them to 1 am on the computer, then did this again the next night.  Is there some kind of legal action I can take against the company?  I feel like I am being stolen from.

Answer
Yes, it is illegal to change the time to keep from paying extra time to the employee. This is called in HR circles as Time card fixing. You need to contact your local department of labor and let them know this is happening and perhaps file a complaint for unpaid wages for the time not recorded on the timecard. The law says the timecards must be accurate and if it is being changed it is not accurate which is a violation of the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act.)

In the meantime, keep time on a paper notebook or paper time card so you have proof for the Department of labor of time worked.  Also have the other employees do the same. The department of labor also has an app that you can get to record time on your phone.

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR