Employment Law/Working out of town

I was recently asked to attend a convention where I will be working for my company.  Details were not finalized when I agreed to attend but I was under the assumption they would be similar to past experiences.  Later I was told I would have to drive my own car to the convention which is over 280 miles away and I would be rooming with another employee that does not speak English.  Last year my company paid for my flight to the same conference.  I voiced my objection to the circumstances, but I am still being expected to attend.  I especially have a problem with driving my own vehicle because it is a lease and has mileage limitations.  What are my rights in this situation?  Can employers make people room together?

There is no law stating that employers cannot require employees to room together. You could offer to pay the difference it would cost to get your own room if you do not want to room with someone.

It might not be much help, but if you drive your car you should be paid mileage for driving. You could talk to them and ask that you be paid the amount the mileage would cost against an airline ticket if you perfer to fly.

Not much help I am sure, but the laws passed to protect employees are all on wages, and discrimination they are not on day to day activities and how the company runs the business. That unfortunately is between you and your company.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada