Employment Law/Employee at work off the clock

Question
Hello!  

We are struggling with employees lingering to talk after hours and creating a distraction for employees who are on the clock, consequently lowering our productivity.  Is there any law (federal or in the state of KY) that prohibits this behavior by employees?

Thanks for your help!!

Answer
What you can do to curb this problem is write a company policy that when your shift ends you need to leave the building. If you write the company policy, explain that the policy is being written because those still working need to concentrate on their work. Give a copy of the policy to every employee.  You might also state in the policy that workman's comp only covers while the employee is working and does not cover when you are off work, in order to be in compliance with workman's comp we need you to leave as soon as you are finished working.
Write it in the policy that failure to comply with this or any other company policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR