Employment Law/Forced Vacation - California

For the second year in a row now, I am bring forced to "burn" accrued vacation time at the end of the year per a Quota in an obvious attempt to perceivably purpose employee earned vacation time and purpose it to "pay the company bills" to make financials for the end of year processing in December look good for January at the start of the Fiscal Year.  The company is not shutting down during this forced vacation time in December when the forced vacation time is being mandated to be 'burned' (I work for a large Fortune 500 in California).

While this is certainly illicit from an ethical perspective, is this unlawful per Vacation laws covering California employees?

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "burn" vacation time. If you mean take the time off, than yes the company can say when you are to use your vacation time, this is legal.

You will find answers to all the rules on Vacation in California at the above website.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada