Employment Law/pto and overtime

Question
I am a restaurant manager who is on salary pay.  I work 56 hours a week.  I live in Dallas Texas.  I was wondering if I should be getting PTO (paid time off). And I was also wondering if I should be getting paid overtime time?  Are there any laws regarding these issues? Thank you

Answer
From Workforce Texas on time off

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/vacation_and_sick_leave.html

If you are an exempt salaried employee you are not eligible for overtime. If you are a non exempt employee you should be paid overtime even if you are on a salary paid basis.

There are rules for whether you are exempt or not.

http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html

If you are not being paid overtime and you think you should be paid overtime than you need to contact your nearest Workforce Texas office and talk to them about a possible misclassification in your employee status. If you are not being paid overtime you are being classified as exmept. This may not be correct and Workfoce Texas can take a look at your job duties and determine whether it is correct or not. If you are not truly exempt under the laws than your employer must pay you overtime.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR