Employment Law/My Rights

My employer requires collared shirts and a vest, I am 54 f and have thyroid,menapause, depression and claustrophobia issues and I get overheated and claustrophobic when I put on this polyester vest, it caused me to panic and I removed it. My employer says you wear it or go home also if you don't wear it you get wrote up and 3 write ups your terminated. I don't know what to do, this is Florida and with my other issues it's way too hot to wear without a panic attack.

what are my rights if any?

Thank you,

Hi Brenda,

The company has the right to request a specific dress code. Unless you have a doctor's note telling your employer that you cannot wear this specific vest I am afraid you must wear it or find another job.  Perhaps he would allow you to wear a similar vest in a lighter fabric to accomodate the medical issues. You might discuss this with him if you could wear a cotton vest that is not so heavy and constricting.

You might also check with your doctor and see if he can prescribe some medication to help with the menopause symptoms.

Other than those suggestions I don't know what else you can do.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada