Employment Law/Alleged non verification

Question
Hello Ms. McAllister,

I have a situation I really need some guidance on. I started working for a company about 6 weeks ago. I was work approximately 10 to 12 hours daily enjoying my new job. I received a call on Friday telling me I could no longer work for them because they were not able to verify my previous employment so they had to let me go. I was shocked and confused at the same time.

I contacted my previous employer immediately and found out they did speak with the new employer. I am now out a job. I would like to know if there were any legal violations that I am able to pursue. My whole life has been turned upside down. Do I have any legal recourse?

Answer
What I would do is see if your previous employer would send you a letter verifying your former employment with them. Than I would give this letter to the new company. However, if the new company for some reason is just trying to force you out it still might not help. Maybe you will have to see if your former employer will give your old job back. Sounds like the new employer might not be such a good company to work for.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR